Saturday, January 12, 2013

All Organic Mixed Green Salad with Grape Tomatoes and Avocado.






Sometimes I just want something cool and fresh and a mixed green salad with a little avocado and some grape tomatoes is usually just the thing. I would normally toss this with an oil and vinegar type dressing, however I went for creating a near fat free Ranch that tasted good instead.

I tried Greek Yogurt a few months back and really liked it. That is saying something for someone who cannot tolerate the texture of yogurt. The Greek style is so thick it is basically spreadable, I decided to grab a plain non fat all natural Greek Yogurt and experiment. 

Sounds lovely huh? Stay with me on this one for a moment before you exclaim, lost me!  My angle works like this, a buttermilk ranch has a bit of a tang to it; so does plain Greek Yogurt and it is thick enough to stand up to a Vitamin D Milk (don't use skim, unless you could care less about the illusion of richness). 
No Mayonnaise required here! Just whip it up ahead of time the same way you would if you were using Mayo and Buttermilk. Refrigerate and let is thicken.

I decided that just because I had hit on a low-fat rich style dressing which I actually like it was no excuse to pour more dressing onto the salad. I enjoy the taste of the vegetables and you still have to watch calories and salt. 
Now if I can only figure out the seasoning in Ranch I could avoid that excessive salt!!! 

Hmmm, any one know a copycat recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment