Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pepper and Garlic Encrusted Pork Loin with Red Wine and Vegetables

I personally think a good roast requires a glass of wine... poured over the roast, not in the glass. I am also real big on fresh ingredients, you will never see instant mashed potatoes on my table. Oddly though I like Kentucky Fried Chickens weird instant potatoes(but not their gravy),go figure? Sooo, start with a fresh pork-loin roast, about 4 1/2 pounds is good for about 5-6 people. A 3 pound bag of red potatoes, a bag of carrots, 4 or 5 washed and cut celery stalks and two fresh onions. I got up at about 5:30 A.M. and began my marination with a nice drizzle of kitchen bouquet right down the center top of the roast. This is a product that your mother or grandmother may have used and it is an absolute staple in my kitchen. If you are wondering what it is and what is in it... it is a browning sauce or a caramelizing sauce it has a vegetable base (water, carrots, onions, celery, parsnips, turnips, salt, parsley and spices. There are two types of preservatives in it, sodium benzoate and sulfiting agents. These are common preservatives found in everything from Soda to Wine or dried fruits. ( I then placed fresh chopped garlic, onion powder, freshly cracked pepper, a little better than bullion (I used beef, because that is what I had, they do have a neutral vegetable). I tucked all of the ingredients in a large glad-ware container with a tight lid and refrigerated it until about 4:00 P.M. I paid special attention to getting a good coating of onion powder (not salt), chopped garlic and cracked black pepper onto the top and sides of the roast... you will need some in the wine marinade as well. I cooked this at 350 degrees to 145 degrees internal... it then rested for about 25 minutes. You will want to drop your vegetables in for about the last hour of roasting. You can choose various vegetables, I like carrots, celery and onions... you can roast the potatoes with the roast however I am all about the mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment